Tuesday, August 17, 2010

expectations (5)

Dear Friends and Family,

Now summer seems to have flown by at the speed of light from the sun, heating up everything in sight as the triple digit heat index has lingered a little too long.

Last time I wrote, I indicated my father had been diagnosed with thyroid cancer, but in fact, he has stage 4 lung cancer. It was quite a challenging time getting the right diagnosis and finally getting the right treatment - reminiscent of my odyssey last year.

After 2+ months of mis-diagnosis, the doctors finally determined that he had adeno-carcinoma of the lung and that it had spread to other organs and in his bones. Not good news.

He was started on a targeted biologic treatment while we awaited genetic tests to see if he was a prime candidate for this type of treatment. We have been thankful to learn that he has the best geno-type for the use of this drug, Tarceva.

After 4 weeks of treatment, the tumor in his lung had shrunk by two-thirds! Soli Deo Gloria!

Just today, about six weeks after treatment initiation, my dad went on a bike ride and spent two hours on his tractor mowing his pasture!! He likes to ride his bike and ride his tractor, so this was a good day physically, mentally, spiritually as dad's "rolling stock" got a work-out.

As you might imagine, it has been a challenging time for our family. As my oldest son said, "this seems like round two, dad" when he heard about his O'pa's cancer. But God has been faithful to us in providing my dad with healing and increasing strength.

I would like to thank many of you for your faithful prayers for my father. None of us sensed that the Lord was ready to take him home. While "to die might be gain", we are happy that he is here with us to "live for Christ" a while longer.

I am going to shift some of my attention in blogging from the power of expectations to a study on the Old Testament book of Job, which I plan to teach at our church this fall. My hope is to load up the lesson I prepare each week to share with others what we are learning about the character of God, the problem of evil and the purpose and nature of suffering in our lives.

Please join me in reading and studying this literary and theological gem of book. I am confident you will be glad you did.

In Christ alone,
Newt

No comments:

Post a Comment