Friday, July 31, 2009

Great News!

Dear Friends and Family,

I spoke with my doctor today after he had a chance to read the CT scan from yesterday. The cancer is completely gone from my pancreas (clear in the entire abdomen) and nearly completely resolved in the chest. In fact, the remaining tissue in the chest may just be scar tissue. He indicated that he could not imagine a better result at this stage. 

We are so very thankful to God for this result and for the many answered prayers from all of you. I am also grateful for the expert care we have received from my doctors and other medical professionals.

I now have two more treatments to complete on August 6th and 27th. Thank you for your continued prayers for complete healing and for no lasting side effects from the chemotherapy.

I have uploaded a picture of my friend Steve Haigh. He is not wearing a hat, but he is sporting a shaved head. Steve has been a close friend and brother since high school, and he has shaved his head in solidarity with me. He said it reminds him to pray for me every time he notices his now bald head.

I am reminded of the Bible verses I shared earlier in my journey from the apostle Paul's letter to the church at Corinth:

"For we were so utterly burdened beyond our strength that we despaired of life itself. Indeed, we felt that we had received the sentence of death. But that was to make us rely not on ourselves but on God who raises the dead. He delivered us from such a deadly peril, and he will deliver us. On him we have set our hope that he will deliver us again. You also must help us by prayer, so that many will give thanks on our behalf for the blessing granted us through the prayers of many." II Corinthians 1:8b-11

I have watched these verses become more than words in my life in the past weeks. 

Hallelujah!

In Christ alone,

Newt


7 comments:

  1. There are no words....I'm just so thankful. As I told you on the phone, it's not relief that I feel, because I knew the Lord was going to heal you. It's just pure thankfulness. One more month, brother....you can do it. I'll be praying faithfully. With much love, Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Annette read the good news earlier today the tears of joy came! A long and prayerful day.
    Love you bro, rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newt, this is amazing news. We've been noodling on some ideas around more holistic approaches to health care that deal with the mind, body, and spirit. You are the poster child for treating the whole person instead of just the disease.

    I still think you should keep the shaved head :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Newt, What a blessing to see God answer prayers in such a marvelous way!! The other blessing is hearing your words of faith in and your love for your faithful God. Thank you for giving us your thoughts and sharing God's words of ministry to you! It's a true gift. We (the Goben family) have been and will continue to pray for you, especially through August as you have two more treatments. Your name is on a post-it on my computer, and has been for months, and it's been a joy to pray for you and your beautiful family!

    Andrea (Goben) Rietman

    ReplyDelete
  5. Newt,

    Our God is Awesome!!! None of this is without purpose and that makes it even more awesome.

    After reading your post, these thoughts came racing through my soul:

    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff,
    they comfort me.

    You prepare a table before me
    in the presence of my enemies.
    You anoint my head with oil;
    my cup overflows.

    Surely goodness and love will follow me
    all the days of my life,
    and I will dwell in the house of the LORD
    forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is wonderful news. May God continue to bless you and your family with the restoration of your health.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a little behind on my "social networking", but I have kept you in my prayers. My 6-month scan was clear also! Our God is faithful, even when we are not.

    And Jesus said to him, "'If you can'! All things are possible for one who believes." Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, "I believe; help my unbelief!" - Mark 9:23-24

    In His grace,
    Blane

    ReplyDelete