Saturday, July 11, 2009

Semper Fi

Dear Friends and Family,

"Always faithful" is the motto of the U.S. Marine Corps. In my uploaded picture, you will see one of my new hats, thanks to my sister, Elizabeth, and her husband, Mark, who is a Marine.

We are all proud of Mark and Elizabeth for their choice to have Mark join the Marines and serve our country.

Benjamin Franklin, one of our country's founding fathers, wrote the following statement in 1775 as part of a proposition for the Pennsylvania State Assembly:

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
(see Wikipedia)

This quote reminds me that we have men and women in our armed forces, especially those in the Marines, who put their "little temporary safety" aside to fight and defend our "essential liberty". We need look no further than what has recently happened in Iran's elections, in the coup in the Honduras, in the despotic rule of North Korea or Venezuela, or the loss of basic freedoms in Russia to understand the importance of liberty and consequences of its absence.

I would encourage us all to take a moment this day and pray for our men and women in the armed forces. Let's all look for opportunities to "pay forward" some act of kindness toward them, returning to them the faithfulness they show each of us and our country through their service and willingness to sacrifice.

In Christ alone,

Newt




3 comments:

  1. Newt,

    It is so ironic that you should be writing about the Marines in today's blog. Uncle Bub and I have just finished watching "Taking Chance", a film about a fallen Marine starring Kevin Bacon. It is a wonderful movie and really shows how much we owe to the brave men and women of our country who are in the Armed Services. I would highly recommend that you and Susan watch this sometime. We are continuing our prayers for you and are anxiously awaiting the upcoming test results. We know that God is good and he is taking exemplary care of you.

    Love to you and Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Newt,

    It's a voice from the past. Lori Bunton forwarded me your blog address. I wanted to let you know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. And coincidences continue--yesterday my son, Christopher (12 years old) was wearing his Marine T-shirt with the Semper Fi motto on it. The Marine flag also hangs in his room. He has had the military in his blood from a very young age. I don't know what his career will be, but I hope he learns to live that motto in all he does. And I also think it sums up God's relationship to us-Always Faithful.
    All my best wishes,
    Nancy Broome Pearsall

    ReplyDelete
  3. Newt,

    I heard the news about your cancer from Hardy Sikand. He thought you had pancreatic. I was so relieved to read your blog and find out it was lymphoma.

    My thoughts and prayers will be with you. I am sorry I did not know sooner, but I can see you are well supported.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete